Tuesday, September 9, 2008

10 lbs?? My back begs to differ!



Special post this week; we have videos! First, some updates. Sophie finally had her 4-month doctor visit on Friday. She was in a good mood when we went, but for some reason every time I put her down on the scale or the table, she would scream bloody murder! So when it was time for her to get her shots, I really couldn't even tell when they had pierced her skin because she was already crying as hard as she could! Oh well. Other than that, she seemed to take it pretty well... the rest of that day and the next she was fine.

The strangest thing was that the nurse weighed her at 10 lbs and 12 oz... meaning she had lost 10 oz since the last visit. I knew it couldn't be right, but Sophie was screaming so much that I didn't bother to say anything. Then they measured her at 26" long. That's the 95th percentile for her age! 10.75 lbs, on the other hand, is the 25th percentile. I couldn't believe the doctor didn't realize that those stats didn't describe the baby she was looking at! I mean, Sophie's certainly not the lankiest baby you'll ever meet. We took her to a breastfeeding center the next day to weigh her ourselves, and there it showed she was 16 lbs even! A lot more like it.

In other news, Sophie has started babbling "mumumummm," which of course sounds like "Mama" even though we know it's not. Also, today I gave her rice cereal for the first time. She barely ate any of it, of course. But we'll keep trying.

1 comment:

  1. The same thing happened with Alisa at one of her visits to the doctor when she was a lot younger. She was crying so hard on the weigh table that the weight was a few pounds off. I thought what the nurse said sounded wrong but wasn't sure. I asked the doctor when we saw her to see what the nurse had written down and then said that had to be wrong because I had just weighed Alisa the day before at the nursing support group. The doctor wasn't concerned (because it was still within the normal range, I guess, and she'd be weighed again in 2 months).

    ReplyDelete