Hi everyone, sorry there has been such a posting delay. A lot has happened since we got back: we had two sets of visitors, we've increased our baby activities during the week, and I'm spending more time on my dissertation proposal. But I really will try to update more frequently!
Sophie is officially 10 months old. She babbles a lot, using lots of sounds that aren't symbolized by our alphabet (as well as many that are). Some patterns: "ma" means "I want to eat." "Ba" means "I'm contentedly observing my environment." "Da" means "I'm seeing something new and interesting." "Iiiiiieeeeeee" means "I'm tired." Or something like that.
She isn't walking unsupported yet, but she can easily pull herself up and navigate along a piece of furniture like our ottoman or the couch, or several chairs lined up. More and more, she can stand unsupported, usually starting out by using me to stand up and then letting go. I don't think she really realizes that she's on her own at that point, though. In the meantime, she can get pretty much anywhere she wants just by crawling.
We're trying without much success to introduce her to new foods. She likes a select few things -- sweet peas, carrots, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, any pureed fruit, as well as anything bready or starchy. I think she's getting too attached to things with a predominantly sweet taste, even if they're not really bad for you. Also, she's still reluctant to try a lot of foods in chunk form, where she would pick it up. Usually the chunks are kind of wet to begin with or they become that way, and it makes it harder for her to pick them up. It can be frustrating for both of us to try to find a daily balanced diet that isn't too limited.
I managed to find some sippy cups that Sophie was able to use. Since then, she needs to nurse much less often. We're down to about 5 times a day. The past few days, she has slept all the way through the night, from about 8pm to 8am, without waking up at all. It's pretty wonderful!
We do something with other kids almost every morning of the week. On Mondays there is an informal playgroup at a breastfeeding support store in town. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, we go to the library for a half hour of songs and rhymes, and then we stay after to read books and play with other kids. And on Fridays we go to a music class that is probably the most structured thing Sophie does. They teach some sign language, sing teaching songs, and give the kids a lot of props to help focus them on what we're singing about. In the afternoons, Sophie really likes to play outside, but since she can't walk and still kind of wants to eat grass and leaves, it's kind of hard.
She still doesn't do many "tricks" like clapping, but she will wave sometimes, and she often dances when there's music on. I took a couple of videos that are kind of funny:
No comments:
Post a Comment