Monday, April 26, 2010

Two's Are Not at All Terrible, So Far

Sophie's birthday lasted only about a week and a half this time, down from a month last year!  We (I) bought her some presents after a trip to Toys 'R Us where I just observed her and what she was interested in.  We started giving them to her one at a time a week before her birthday, singing "Happy Birthday" each time to help her understand.  We also got lots of great gifts from friends and family.  Some of her presents she really likes now, and a lot of them I can tell she will like later even if she's not quite there yet.

One of the most memorable moments of Sophie's birthday was the first day we gave her a gift: the four Super Reader dolls. First we brought out Alpha Pig, and she loved him.  Making her so happy was an unforgettable feeling... really makes it easy to understand how parents can spoil their kids!  Anyway, we waited a couple of minutes, then brought out Wonder Red.  She grabbed Wonder Red and looked at her for a few seconds, then said "Princess Presto?  OK!"  We were pretty shocked, although I guess we shouldn't have been.  When we brought out Princess Presto, Sophie didn't even look at her.  She just said, "Super Why? OK!"  This is not to say she didn't like all the dolls.  What she likes is all four of them together... and in order.  Once I gave them to her out of order and she started crying.


On Sophie's actual birthday, we went out to Chick-Fil-A, where she got to eat her beloved nuggets and fruit.  They were giving out free ice cream cones with kids' meals, but we opted not to get one because we were going to do a cupcake for her when we got home.  Then when we got home, she didn't want any cupcake!  We have her rejecting it on video.  Once it gets hot out, I'm excited to let her try some ice cream.  :)

We had a nice party the following weekend.  Lots of people came, and all the kids just ran around in the backyard most of the time.  We had the sprinkler going.  Sophie, as usual, kind of ignored everybody as much as possible and just did her own thing.  I decided we wouldn't have a special "Happy Birthday" singing and cake-eating ceremony.  There were so many people, and I just didn't think Sophie would get anything out of it.

Unfortunately, John and I were too busy for most of the birthday celebrations to take pictures.  But here are a couple:

Lots of people have probably heard me mention my plans to buy Sophie a special outfit every year for her birthday, at least until she's 18 (if not older).  I chose this dress for her this year, along with a couple of matching hair accessories that she mostly refuses to wear.  :)  I wonder if she'll be old enough next year to pick out her own outfit?

Here you can see the dress better, plus one of the hair clips that she was actually wearing very briefly.

The same weekend as Sophie's birthday party, the local PBS station was having a 50th birthday celebration with all kinds of activities for the kids.  Here is Sophie at one the activities, where you get to see yourself on TV with various characters from the children's programming.  Sophie took her Alpha Pig doll to be on TV with Super Why!, and I managed to get a couple of pictures.

Then Sophie got to see a "real" Super Why!  I think she might have been a little scared of him, but she overcame it.  :)

Other tidbits from Sophie's life in her 3rd year:

She loves to dip things in ketchup, or barbecue sauce.  I was very hopeful that she would start to eat pasta this way, but she hates noodles even if they're covered in sweet sauce.  :(  She also will no longer eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  Now she usually asks for a quesadilla and ketchup or eggs and ketchup.

Her favorite pastime these days is to run around in the backyard.  We actually have lots to do out there now, so she usually stays out until Ben tells us it's time to go back in.  But one of her favorite things to do back there is just say "1, 2, 3, GO!" and run the length of the yard.

All of a sudden, Sophie hates to take baths.  I think she had a traumatic experience recently while John was washing her hair, and now she wants nothing to do with it.  So she's been pretty dirty lately!

Sophie loves to play basketball with her dad.

Often, Sophie would rather read books by herself... or thinks she would.

Sophie can play the alphabet on the piano.

Sophie definitely has preferences about what to wear.  I'm learning to have an open mind.  :)

Recently, Sophie has started to go up to closed doors and say "open the door!"

She just learned to sing "Old MacDonald Had a Farm," which she pronounces as "Obadaba had a fahm."

3 comments:

  1. I really love the 1st pic of her with the Super Reader dolls. She can play the alphabet on the piano?! Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. she's awesome! :)
    food coloring for the bath water. it has been working for us for months when zola doesn't want to get in. plus it's learning what colors create when they are mixed together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, you are so creative. I feel like every time I talk to you I come away with a cool idea for the kids. We will try that tonight, because she is DIRTY!!

    ReplyDelete