Saturday, April 16, 2011

New Haircut!

I love long hair, but I do not love taking care of it.  I'm not very good at it, even for myself, and Sophie's long hair has not only needed the normal maintenance, but also needs extra cleaning because of all the sticky goo she always gets in it.  These days, she hates having her hair washed, too.

So I finally decided it was time for a shorter cut.  She has absolutely no attachment to her long hair, and as far as I can tell it's just an inconvenience for her, whether because it's getting in her face constantly, or because she has to sit there while I brush out all her tangles and rinse the shampoo out of all that hair.  I started to feel bad about imposing those costs on her just because she's a girl.  If she has to endure them, I want it to be her choice.

A kids' hair salon just opened up in Tallahassee, so we headed over there.  It was great!  They had a full playroom with Shrek playing, a bathroom that could accommodate diaper-changing, potty training, and any other kid needs, and plenty of distractions and treats for kids while they were getting their hair cut.  Sophie was excited about going, had fun playing with some toys while we waited for our turn, and watched her reflection with intense interest as the stylist clipped and cut her hair.  The only part she didn't like was having the back of her hair sprayed with water and blown dry, but it didn't last long and she got a treat (raisins) at the end of it.

Check out her new look!



She's been checking herself out in the mirror ever since we got home.  Definitely a success!

1 comment:

  1. So so absolutely adorable! It will be so much nicer and easier to take care of!

    ReplyDelete